How to Get the Best Return on Investment with Your Content Marketing
With any online marketing campaign, there are many components to consider, including social media platforms, video, reputation management, directories, and search engine optimization. In the final analysis, though, nothing is more important than your content—the message you present to potential clients. Though there are different approaches to content marketing, there is one constant—you need a plan. Effective content marketing rarely happens by accident. Nonetheless, a recent study found that nearly two of every three content marketers admit they don’t have a documented strategy.
A Step-by-Step Approach to a Powerful Content Marketing Strategy for Your Law Firm
Research supports the conclusion that a documented content marketing strategy produces better results. Here are some concrete measures to help you get the most impact from your content:
- Step One – Know what you want to accomplish: The first thing you want to do, before you ever write a word, is ask “why.” What’s the purpose of the content? Is it to build your client base? Is it to change the focus of your caseload? Are you looking for referrals or organic leads? As you clarify your objectives, document them somewhere, either on paper or digitally, so that you can easily access them and confirm whether you’re moving toward them or meeting them. The clearer and more specific your goals are, the more impact they’ll have.
- Step Two – The Colonel Sanders factor: Identify that one thing you do best. Dig as deeply as you can to distinguish yourself from the hundreds or thousands of others lawyers out there. What’s the most unique component of what you do? Can you identify something that you do (or have done) that others in your area of practice won’t or don’t? Identify five or more messages that you would like to communicate to potential clients. Then look at your main competitors and see if they already have the same messages. If so, toss them and use the ones that remain.
- Step Three – Determine whether it’s working: With any content marketing strategy, you need metrics. If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it. You should be able to determine the number of people to whom your content was visible, what they did with it (viewed, downloaded, forwarded, etc.), whether they became a lead or client, and how much revenue they generated.
- Step Four – Pinpoint your target: Who is your ideal client? Look at more than the legal issues involved. What kind of discretionary income should they have? What educational level would you expect? Try to be more specific than “a client,” even if you really need some revenue. The more specifically targeted your content, the better cases you’ll get and the more profitable you’ll be.
Step Five – Identify what your prospective client needs: What are the most important questions a potential client needs answered? Typically, there are three primary questions:
- Can you help me solve my problem? – Answer this by describing what you do (not how the law works)
- Where are you located? – A potential client will typically want to meet you, although more and more attorneys are representing clients remotely.
- Why should I hire you? – To make the decision to hire you, a potential client will need to distinguish you from others who offer the same services.
- Step Six – Prepare content that answers your potential client’s questions: Though there’s a visibility component to your content (you need to get potential clients to see your content), it’s far more important to have content that convinces them to contact you. Traffic numbers don’t mean anything if no one calls you.
- Step Seven – Refresh your content on a regular basis: You want your content to stay fresh and relevant. It will enhance your performance with search engines, but it also will ensure that the prospects who contact you are the ones you want.
Contact GetLegal for Experienced Guidance Building an Effective Content Strategy
At GetLegal, we have a thorough understanding of how to most productively use content to market your law practice. We’ll help you conceive, develop and implement a solid strategy for your marketing content. Call us at 877-359-7077 or use our convenient online form to learn more.