Wills & estates
- My State Will — Offers several interactive programs: an estate tax calculator, intestacy calculators (one for each state) and state law summaries. Also includes charts and facts, sample intestacy problems and more.
- Legal Research for Estate Planners — A comprehensive directory of estate planning links divided into six categories: general estate planning research, national estate planning sites, state and local estate planning sites, specific estate planning topics, estate planning literature, and estate planning practice tools.
- Estate Planning Links — Another annotated directory. Topics include asset protection, elder law, valuation, charitable planning and business continuity.
- Trust & Estates Legal & Practice Materials — Links to specialized sites on trusts, estate planning, estate and trust administration, ethics and other topics. Also links to forms.
- Estates and Trusts — From Cornell’s Legal Information Institute. Links to probate, property and taxation statutes for each state.
- America’s Charities — Links to charities nationwide. Search by charity type or name.
- National Committee on Planned Giving — Includes news, a resource center, ethics and standards, and educational information, all geared toward charitable contributions.
- Gift and Estate Resources for Professionals — Numerous links to case studies, articles and handouts (e.g., Planning Mistakes to Avoid, Donor Motives, Charitable Tools, Things Clients Should Know). Also links to many sources of U.S. tax information.
- Living Trust FAQ — Why make a living trust? Is it expensive? A hassle? Can a living trust reduce estate taxes? This page answers these questions and links to related articles (e.g., Make a Living Trust in Your State).
- Heritage Living Trust — In-depth information about living trusts. Discusses probate, estate taxes, conservatorship, joint tenancy and other topics. Includes a blog, Q&A and additional resources.
- Wealth Management Resource Guide — Database of trust institutions, administration services, investment advisers and more.
Aging and end-of-life issues
- Elder Law Answers — Comprehensive site on elder law. Links to state-by-state information as well as checklists, a long-term care guide, a blog, a discussion board, news reports, Elder Law Radio and more.
- Elder Law Resources — From the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Includes an elder law bibliography and a list of links to legal and government resources, associations, international information and more.
- Recognizing Elder Abuse — A guide by the National Council for Aging Care on how to recognize elder abuse and knowing your rights.
- Death and Dying Issues — From California Western School of Law. Lists and describes books, articles, videos and Internet resources.
- Organ Donation — In-depth information from the National Library of Medicine.
- Wills, Trusts & Estates Prof Blog — Member of the Law Professors Blogs Network.
- Death and Taxes Blog — Commentary on estate planning, estate administration and real estate issues.
- You and Yours Blawg — Focuses on business planning, estate planning, trusts, elder law and taxation.
- Estate of Denial — Its mission: “shining light on the dark side of estate management.”
- State-specific blogs — Links to certain state-specific estate planning blogs.
Associations & agencies
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel — Links to legal and factual research sites, blogs, journals and other resources. Also links to annotated list of books written by counsel fellows.
- American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys — Includes several online tools: a practice development index, audio sessions and estate planning alerts. Also links to online resources as well as information about marketing a law practice.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys — Nonprofit organization assisting lawyers, bar organizations and others who work with older clients and their families.
- Estate and Gift Taxes — Information from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services — Information from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Social Security Administration
- OrganDonor.gov — Links to various organizations and agencies involved in organ donation.
Journals, news & articles
- TrustsAndEstates.net — Database of articles and guides written by Noel C. Ice, a Texas attorney. Also links to a free online form book.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy — Weekly newspaper of fundraising and nonprofit management. Some articles available free online.
- Guide to Tax Benefits for Charitable Gifts — Essential article from Trusts & Estates magazine.